Having a Disaster Kit at Hand
Hurricane season is upon us once again. It’s important to be prepared in case a storm reaches a “warning” status for our area. Experts at the American Red Cross say planning is the key.
You should keep a disaster supply kit that includes:
- A flashlight and portable radio with extra batteries
- Sleeping bags or blankets
- A few personal hygiene items
- A small tool kit and a multipurpose penknife
- A roll of duct tape
- Prescription drugs to last up to a week
- A first aid kit with basic over-the-counter drugs
- A three-day supply of clean water—one gallon per person per day
- A three-day supply of food—canned vegetables and fruit, packaged crackers, granola bars and other dry foods are best
For more information and to find Red Cross activities and opportunities for service in your area, visit the American Red Cross website at www.redcross.org.